Kale Chips





Healthy Snack Week, Day Three


This snack definitely fits all the criteria I was looking for when I came up with the idea for Healthy Snack Week.  It is quick, easy, satisfying and very healthy.

Kale:  One of Nature's Healthiest Foods  

Here are just a few of the benefits of this "Superfood":

  • DNA cell repair
  • Slows the growth of cancer cells
  • Contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for eye health
  • high in iron, protein and calcium
  • high in omega-3 fatty acids
It does not lose it's nutrients when baked, so don't feel guilty about cooking it.  

I came across several recipes for Kale Chips and I experimented with a couple different ones. Some called for olive oil, others coconut oil.  Both oils are considered to be"healthy oils".  I had some coconut oil spray in my pantry, so I decided to try that.  I also experimented with a couple different seasonings and oven temperatures.



Here are my recommendations: 
  1. (Note:  I used one bunch of Organic Lacinato Kale.  I'm not sure if it matters what kind of Kale you use).  Rinse Kale and strip away the tough stem part in the middle of the leaves.  Break it into smaller pieces and place on a cookie sheet.  
  2. Spray with Coconut Oil Spray.
  3. Sprinkle with desired seasonings.  I tried it two different ways:  Sea Salt only, and Sea Salt and Cayenne Pepper.  My daughter and I liked the Sea Salt only version better.  I'm sure almost any seasoning would be good.  Experiment for yourself to find your favorite.  
  4. Bake for about 20 minutes at 275 degrees F.  Watch it carefully for the last few minutes.  You want to take it out when it begins to get brown around the edges and it is starting to get crispy, but not burnt.  



Did it pass the kid test?  Yes!  My picky 12 year old gave a big thumbs up to the sea salt only version.  

Source:




Comments

Popular Posts