Healthy Snack Week, Day One: "Nutty Date Bites"

 I've declared this week to be "Healthy Snack Week"!  The reason is simple:  I need more easy, yet satisfying, and healthy snacks for myself and my family of five.

So, each day this week, I will post a simple snack idea, including some information or links about it's nutritional content and health benefits.

Medjool Dates


Let's start with Medjool dates.

Dates have many health benefits and contain at least 15 vitamins and minerals, including iron, potassium, B vitamins, and vitamins A and K.  They are high in fiber and have been proven to reduce the production of free radicals, prevent several types of cancer (including breast cancer), strokes, and heart disease.

Although they are relatively high in sugar (one of these dates contains approximately 16 grams of sugar), they make a great alternative to other unhealthy and calorie laden snacks.

I got the idea for this snack from a nutritionist at a cancer support group in my local area, but I changed it slightly based on what I had available in my kitchen.  I've named them Nutty Date Bites.

Nutty Date Bites



Ingredients:


  • Organic Medjool Dates
  • Peanut Butter (I used creamy, organic peanut butter:  no salt, sugar, or added ingredients)
  • Organic Grade A Maple Syrup
  • Cinnamon


Directions:


  • Simply slice a date in half, lengthwise, and remove the pit.  
  • Fill the hollow in each date half with peanut butter.
  • Drizzle a small amount of maple syrup on top of each date. (Go easy--just a tiny amount is sufficient).
  • Sprinkle with cinnamon.
  • Cut each into half, if desired.  


Easy, delicious, nutritious, and satisfying!  

And, by the way, my very picky 12 year old daughter loves them!

My source for the nutrition information for this post can be found at http://foodfacts.mercola.com/dates.html








Comments

Popular Posts