Healthy Snack Week, Day Two: Taco Popcorn




Today I decided to try a new twist on one of my favorite snacks, popcorn.  There are many seasoned popcorn recipes out there.  I found one for "Taco Flavored Popcorn", but it called for butter and was popped on the stove in additional oil.  I decided to adapt it and make a healthier version.   

First, I did a little research.  One of my favorite snacks is air popped popcorn with olive oil and sea salt.  I eat it at least once or twice a week.  But I had no idea of it's health benefits.

Good news!  Popcorn is quite healthy! 


Here are some of the benefits of air popped, organic popcorn

  • Whole grain, high in fiber
  • It helps regulate blood sugar
  • Lowers cholesterol
  • Helps with weight loss
  • High in antioxidants and polyphenolic compounds, which makes it a good food for preventing cancer
  • Helps control free radicals

I've been using extra virgin olive oil on my popcorn for several years now.  I love the taste, and it is much healthier than using butter.  Here's the rundown on some of it's benefits:

  • It is a monounsaturated fatty acid, which is a healthy dietary fat.  
  • Lowers the risk of heart disease
  •  Helps regulate insulin levels and helps control blood sugar 
  • Reduces inflammation, which decreases the risk of Breast Cancer, and it's recurrence


Healthy Taco Popcorn


Please note:  I used a home made Taco Seasoning recipe that I have been using for years to make tacos for my family.    Click here to link to the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Cup of Unpopped Organic Popcorn Kernels
  • 2 TBLS of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 TBLS of Taco Seasoning  (I used my own home made version.  See link above.)
Directions:
  • Pop the popcorn using an air popper.  
  • Mix the olive oil and the taco seasoning in a small bowl.  
  • Drizzle some of the taco seasoned oil over the popcorn and toss.  Gradually add more of the oil, tossing it with the popcorn, until it has been evenly distributed.  
Now, turn on Netflix, and enjoy!!!!

P.S.  This passed the kid test.  My kids loved it!  






Comments

Popular Posts