A True Adventure in Healing Part Two


"Yoga isn't about learning to touch your toes. It's what you learn on the way down."-Jigar Gor


This is part two of the story of my trip to Estes Park, Colorado last September for the Rhythms of Nature Yoga and Nature Retreat.  

(If you would like more information about attending this annual retreat,  check out the following link:  http://www.homegrownyoga.com/rhythms-of-nature-yoga-and-nature-retreat.)



Saving Grace

When I sat down to write about day two of the retreat, I began thinking about how just over a year ago, at the end of my twice weekly yoga class, my instructor told a story about a woman (in her 70s or 80s) who had greatly improved her flexibility and overall health by practicing yoga.  When this woman had first started, she couldn't even touch her toes.  I told my instructor that night that I thought yoga might be my "saving grace" in terms of my recovery from breast cancer.  At the time, I had been attending her yoga classes for two months, and it had already helped me with range of motion, flexibility, relaxation, and emotional health.  

Fast forward to a few months later, and I found myself sitting among a group of women at a yoga retreat in Colorado listening to fellow retreat goer, Cindy Novelo, playing her guitar and singing a song called "You Are My Saving Grace."  She encouraged us all to sing along and think about the people, things and beliefs that helped us along our journey of life.  Here are her lyrics (shared with her permission)......

Saving Grace
©2012 Music and lyrics by Cindy Novelo

Chorus 
You are my saving grace
You are my saving grace
You are my saving grace, I bow to you 
The sun it shines o’er the mountain
The wind it blows ‘cross the sea
You light the waters
That bring me home  
Chorus 
You whisper to me gently
You fill my heart with your song
You shine the light through the darkness 
And guide me home 
Chorus
Bridge:
In my heart
Unfolds the deepest truth
With your light
It shines
Chorus 
Your song, it sounds o’er the mountain
Your song, it sounds ‘cross the sea
Your song, it pulls on my heartstrings
And sings in me 
Chorus 
You are my saving grace
You are my saving grace
You are my saving grace


This came at the end of day two of the retreat, a fitting ending to the past twenty-four hours, during which this small group of women had become an intimate, caring, and supportive group.  We had shared with each other our personal reasons for attending the retreat and had begun to get to know each other.   Although we were all on different paths of our life's journeys, it felt good to walk beside each other for a few days. Yoga and nature were the backdrops of the retreat, but it was the connections that we made with each other that made the most lasting impression on me.  

Now here's my summary of Day Two:  


The day began with a short walk to the dining hall for breakfast.  I cannot overstate the natural beauty of the landscape that greeted me that morning.    


YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park, Colorado
The YMCA is adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park and that morning the clouds hung low on the mountains creating a breathtaking scene.  I took a moment to fully appreciate the beauty and to acknowledge my gratitude for the day ahead.


Yoga Session


After breakfast we walked to the Leggett Youth Building and arranged our yoga mats outdoors, surrounded by a 360 degree view of mountains.   I settled into a seated position on my mat as Laura led us in some deep breathing exercises.  I filled my lungs with the fresh mountain air.  Everyone's mood was peaceful and open to learning with our bodies and our minds.  

One of my favorite poses during our yoga practice was Goddess.  While in this position, Laura told us to say loudly, "I am Goddess (Fill in your name))!"  The mountainside filled with our confident pronouncements.  It was very empowering!  And Mountain Pose took on a whole new meaning in that setting!  


Hike to Bible Point

Next, we put on our hiking shoes and hats and Laura introduced us to our YMCA volunteer trail guide.  He led us up the trail to Bible Point, which is an invigorating, mostly uphill hike to an area with great views of the YMCA and the surrounding national park, all while telling us interesting facts and charming tales about nature and the history of the area.   

One of the views from the top of Bible Point Trail


The YMCA provided box lunches for us filled with delicious veggie or turkey wraps, chips, hummus, pretzels, raw carrots, an apple, juice and a dessert!  Can you just imagine sitting there enjoying a lunch that you didn't have to pack yourself while soaking in that view and having delightful conversations with upbeat and friendly women?  How refreshing and rejuvenating!  

After lunch, we hiked back down and then had a couple hours of free time to rest.  Massages were available for a fee at the massage cabin located at the YMCA just a short walk from the Leggett building.  The Y also has an arts and crafts center which is fully stocked with tons of craft supplies and projects available for a small fee.  I chose to rest in my room.  



Sharing, Discussion, Chanting and Music

We met back at the Leggett building where Laura provided snacks and led us in a discussion.   We all received a workbook that included photos of yoga poses, their names, and talked about other yoga terminology.   Laura led us in yoga chants, music and breathing techniques.  And then Cindy closed the session with her song.  

Ghost Hunting

Dinner was available in the dining hall, but Laura, Hilarie and I decided to spend the evening at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park.  The hotel was made famous by the Stephen King novel and movie, The Shining, and is reported to be haunted.  The three of us went on a ghost hunting tour and then ate a meal at the hotel restaurant. The tour was fun and entertaining and the meal was delicious.  

A panoramic view from the front steps of the Stanley

At the end of day two, I was exhausted, and honestly a little sore from all of the day's activities.  I decided it was a good time for me to break into those bath salts that Laura had given us the day before.  What a great day!  




To Be Continued.......


For more information about the music of Cindy Novelo, please visit her website at http://www.cindynovelo.com






Comments

Popular Posts